|Lance, with GuidanceGhoul and Son #1|
|Nathan aka Leslie Vernon, with three masked proteges|Kristy Jett, with GuidanceGhoulGoing out for pizza on Friday night with and Ben Scrivens and Kristy Jett, our good fiends from Fright-Rags, makers and sellers of the coolest horror t-shirts a ghoul can pull over his rotting torso. In the three years I've known her, Kristy has become an increasingly prominent figure in the horror fan community, with bylines in FANGORIA, HORRORHOUND and other publications, and originator and organizer of movement to give POPCORN a proper DVD release.
- Seeing the aforementioned Kristy Jett moderate the aforementioned Nathan Baesal's Q&A session. It was Kristy who actually arranged Nathan's coming to MM19. It was his first time appearing as a guest at a convention, and Kristy's first time as a Q&A moderator. Both did a kick-ass job.
- Having Erin Gray give Son #1 a free autograph for being a polite, well-mannered kid.
- Having a toy vendor give Son #2 a free toy (Predator Hound action figure) for basically the same reason.
- Scoring a British Blu-Ray of PHENOMENA, my personal favorite of Dario Argento's films – and sadly not yet released on BR in the North America. This is one of those lavish packages – loaded with extras, both tangible and on the disc – that put American releases to shame. For anyone not in the know (as I was not, until recently), Blu-Ray discs are happily all region-free, so have no fear of searching overseas to fill those gaping, bleeding holes in your collection.
Roxsy, with the (still-living)
Sons of GuidanceGhoulSeeing the hauntingly adorable Roxsy Tyler (of ROXSY TYLER'S CARNIVAL OF HORRORS) again, and having her give my boys custody of a really nice midnight-blue teddy bear from her personal collection.
One of the boys said "Candyman"
five times into the hotel room mirror.Chatting with Tony Todd about the upcoming SUSHI GIRL – one film I really wish I didn't have to wait until next year to see.
with the GuidanceGhoul FamilyGetting a picture with Ernie Hudson, in a Ghostbuster outfit. It's the first time I've ever seen a celebrity dress in character at a convention – an unexpected treat.
Boys find out that some zombies
are a lot cuter than their father.Meeting the extremely lovely and charming young (11-year-old) actress Addy Miller, Little Girl Zombie of THE WALKING DEAD's first season.
- Meeting John Squires, writer of this ghoul's favorite horror blog, FREDDY IN SPACE – an outstanding daily (!) blog and a really nice guy. I wish I had gotten a picture with him, but my camera was up in the room when we finally got to talk, in the wee hours of Sunday morning in the hotel lobby.
Danielle, with GuidanceGhoul and sonsMeeting the beautiful Danielle Harris, who rearranged shooting plans to be able to attend this convention. A true class act, she does not charge her under-18 fans for autographs, meaning that my boys got a free signed picture and I felt even better about paying for mine.
Shawn of Warfear, with two
Sons of GuidanceGhoul.Having Shawn, lead singer of NYC-based horror-metal band WARFEAR, praise Son #1 for his knowledge of Italian horror cinema. WARFEAR's subject matter is right up this blogger's undead alley: The first two EP's are inspired by LEFT 4 DEAD and RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, respectively. Shawn was giving away both EP's on one CD in the vendor's room – very cool.